*Substantive changes from the prior version will generally be highlighted below.
Who We Are
Renewables PBC (together with its subsidiaries — collectively, “renewables.org,” “we,” or “us”) provides an online platform to acquire loans for solar projects. We are a Delaware based public benefit corporation.
Personal Data We Collect (and How We Collect It)
Basic Personal Information. When you create an account on the Website, we collect your name, email address, and a means to authenticate your account (for example, a password). You may also choose to provide additional information, such as your phone number, your location, your address, and your payment account identifying information. We may receive some information about you from third-party payment processing providers like PayPal (for example name, payment account email address, and in some cases physical address).
Transaction Activity. We record information about deposits to your account and the Loans you make through the Program, individually (for example, amount and project funded) and in the aggregate (for example, total loan provided, number of Loans made and distribution by projects).
Other Use of renewables.org’s Website and Features. We may collect other information you choose to provide in order to facilitate your participation in the Program or use of Website features.
- If you make changes to your renewables.org account preferences (for example, receiving marketing information from us, instructions on whether to automatically lend funds in your account, redeploy funds to new projects, and withdraw funds from your account), we record that information.
- We also collect comments you post to any other Web page hosted by renewables.org (such as a blog page, or user dashboard), or through renewables.org’s query form.
Other Interactions with renewables.org.
- If you contact renewables.org customer service, we will collect the information you provide (for example, your name, email address, physical address, phone number and comment) in order to respond to you.
- If you submit an application to renewables.org (for example, to be an employee, or management committee), we collect the information you submit (for example, name, phone number, resume, cover letter, and position of interest) to review your application and follow up with you.
- If you participate in a survey or other promotion, we may request certain personal information from you (for example, name, address, email address, phone number, organization, designation, and demographic information).
- If you sign into the Website through your Facebook account, you grant renewables.org permission to access your public Facebook information (including account email address and photograph), as well as a list of your Facebook friends who also use renewables.org, and whether you opt to show your renewables.org lending activity to your friends through Facebook.
- If you sign into the Website through your Google account, you grant renewables.org permission to access your email address and public Google profile information.
renewables.org may from time to time offer similar third-party integrations with other services.
Technical Data. Regardless of whether you have a renewables.org account, we use tools like cookies, web beacons, and other automated systems to collect data on your behavior when you use the Website. If you have enabled cookies in your browser, renewables.org independently and through third-party tools and programs (such as Google Analytics), collects certain technical information (for example, your path to the Website, pages visited, interactions with pages, originating IP address, device type, browser type, browser language, network connection type, and the date and time of your visit). We use these tools to analyze data to improve User experiences and prevent fraud. Please note that many internet browsers offer a Do Not Track (DNT) setting; because there is no industry or legal standard for DNT signals, renewables.org does not respond to them.
Accessing and Updating Your Personal Information
This policy describes the types of data we collect, as well as the sources from which we obtain it, the purposes for which we use it, and the categories of third parties with which we share data. You have the right to access the specific personal data renewables.org has on you. You can view this information through your renewables.org user dashboard. You also have the right to request that we provide some of your personal data to you , in a predetermined format by renewables.org. To make such a request, or if you have additional questions about information renewables.org has collected on you, please reach out to us at email@example.com.
If your personal information changes, you may update, amend, or remove certain information by signing into your renewables.org user dashboard and making the change in your account settings, or by contacting renewables.org. We will respond to your requests within 30 days.
How renewables.org Uses Your Personal Information
We will only collect and use your personal data (i) to carry out the terms of a contract we have entered into with you (including providing our services pursuant to our Terms and Conditions), (ii) where you have given consent, or (iii) where we have a legitimate interest in conducting our operations, such as:
- to facilitate access to your user dashboard;
- to personalize your experience using the Website, both through user settings and through automated profiling to better engage with you;
- to communicate with you about your transactions or other Website activity, and to respond to your comments or inquiries to renewables customer service;
- to contact you (including via email and phone) with general information about our projects, initiatives, marketing campaigns, surveys or other promotional activities;
- to generate leads and conduct targeted advertising to you and other individuals with similar characteristics and interests, where legally permissible;
- to analyze and improve our services, communications, and advertising;
- to monitor compliance with our policies and standards, and to improve security;
- to process applications for employment positions;
- to comply with applicable law or court orders and to exercise or defend our legal rights or the rights of others.
Where we need your personal information in order to provide our services or otherwise process your instructions and you fail to provide that information, we may not be able to carry out your instructions or deliver our services pursuant to our Terms and Conditions. In some cases you may not be able to open a renewables.org account, or we may be required to close your account.
Disclosure of Your Personal Information
renewables.org does not sell or rent your personal information to third parties. We may disclose any of your personal information in the following circumstances:
- Publicly, to the extent described in the section below (Information Displayed Publicly).
- In order to comply with applicable law, regulation, legal process, or governmental request, or to otherwise protect the rights, property, and safety of renewables.org, Users, and others.
- With our affiliates and service providers, agents and representatives in connection with their provision of services to renewables.org for business purposes (for example, account authentication, facilitating Website functionality, processing transactions, distributing renewables.org emails, conducting surveys, managing employment applications, and monitoring Website traffic and security). All such access shall be under appropriate confidentiality agreements and limited to use to provide services to renewables.org to help us further our mission.
- With third parties providing integrated Website features that you choose to use (for example, Facebook and Twitter) to allow you to share information about your Loans or other Website activity. Please note that we may withhold or withdraw information related to Loans you have made to the extent necessary to protect the privacy of borrowers.
- Where legally permissible, we may share limited personal information, such as your email address or phone number, with third party platforms like Facebook or Google to advertise to you and others with similar interests and characteristics through these platforms
- As part of renewables.org’s API, which is a service renewables.org provides to allow third parties to develop applications and features using information from the Website and Program (“Third Party Applications”). The renewables.org API may share any information that you display publicly on the Website, and if you authorize a Third Party Application to use your non-public information from the Website (for example, the amount accumulated in your account and Loans made) the API may share the non-public information with such Third Party Application. Third Party Application developers have agreed to the renewables.org API Terms of Service or a separately negotiated agreement, which contain restrictions on the use of your information. Despite these agreements, renewables.org does not screen or audit Third Party Applications, and we cannot guarantee that third parties will abide by their agreements.
- Aggregated or pseudonymized data that does not directly identify you may be shared with third parties for educational, informational or promotional purposes in furtherance of renewables.org’ mission.
How Long We Keep Your Personal Information
We will only keep your personal data for as long as reasonably necessary to fulfill the purposes we collected it for, according to our internal policies. These policies take into account relevant legal and regulatory retention requirements (e.g. tax, audit, or legal compliance requirements) and operational considerations. We will delete or permanently anonymize personal data relating to inactive renewables.org accounts (as defined in our Terms and Conditions) within a reasonable period of time after an account becomes inactive. If it is not possible to delete or anonymize certain data (for example, because your personal information has been stored in backup archives), then we will securely store the data and isolate it from any further processing until deletion is possible. We reserve the right to retain indefinitely data that does not directly identify you, for example, aggregated or anonymized data.
How to Limit Our Use of Your Personal Information
In certain circumstances, you have the right to restrict renewables.org’s use and storage of your personal information. For instance, you may ask us to erase your personal data when it is no longer necessary for the purposes for which it was collected. If our collection and use of certain personal information is based on your consent, you have the right to withdraw your consent. In such a case, we will no longer process your information unless there is another legal ground to do so. You may ask us to limit our use of your personal data or to erase your personal data by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
As certain personal information is necessary for your participation in the Program, we will be unable to delete that information unless you choose to close your renewables.org account. You may close your account at any time and for any reason by sending a written notice of termination to renewables.org along with instructions for processing your then-available returns generated.
Security of Your Personal Information
renewables.org takes reasonable steps to maintain appropriate physical, technical and administrative security to help prevent loss, misuse and unauthorized access, disclosure or modification of personal information. While we take these reasonable efforts to safeguard your personal information, no system or transmission of data over the Internet or any other public network can be guaranteed to be 100% secure.
Electronic Communications and Emails
You will receive certain notices and information based on your account status or activity (collectively, “Communications”) from renewables.org (for example, confirmations of Loans,statements with respect to the amount of returns generated in your renewables user dashboard, confirmation of email address or password changes, and inquiries regarding activity in your account). By creating a renewables.org account, you agree that all Communications from renewables.org relating to your use of the Website and participation in the Program may be made electronically by email or at the Website (although we reserve the right to provide you with certain Communications through physical mail). To access the Communications, you will need to use a computer with Internet Explorer 10.0 or above, Edge, Firefox 4 or above, Chrome 19 or above, Safari 6 or above, or Opera 12.1 or above and with hardware capable of running these browsers, and/or a mobile device capable of running renewables.org’s mobile application. You may withdraw your consent to receive Communications electronically by contacting renewables.org as described below. However, if you withdraw your consent to receive electronic Communications (other than for the optional emails described below), you will not be able to fund any additional Loans through the Website. The withdrawal of your consent will not affect the legal validity of electronic Communications provided before you withdraw your consent, or in connection with any of your Loans that have not been fully repaid by the time you withdraw consent. It is your responsibility to inform renewables.org of any changes to your email address so that you continue to receive all Communications without interruption. You may request a paper copy of any electronic notice from renewables.org by sending an email to email@example.com., including your name and the address to which you would like the paper copy sent.
By default, you will receive the following types of optional emails from renewables.org: news and promotions, project details, new projects and balance updates. You have the right to object to receiving these optional emails from renewables.org, and you can stop receiving them by clicking an “unsubscribe” link in an email.
Third Party Applications and Links to Other Websites
renewables.org makes an API available to third-party developers, who may from time to time create Third Party Applications (as defined above). Third Party Applications are not created or maintained by renewables.org, and their use of your information is governed by their own terms of service and privacy policies (whether you provide your information to these third parties directly or through the renewables.org API). renewables.org gives no guarantees or warranties with respect to any Third Party Application and is not responsible for your use or inability to use any Third Party Application, including without limitation the content, accuracy, reliability or security of Third Party Applications or the privacy practices or other policies of third parties. Please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org. if you suspect a Third Party Application is misusing your information.
Location of Data
Children Under the Age of 13
The Website is intended to be used by adults. It is not intended for children, and renewables.org does not want to collect any personal information about individuals under the age of 13. renewables.orgrecommends that parents do not post, or permit others to post, any personally identifiable information with respect to children under the age of 13. If you believe that we have any information from a child under age 13, please let us know at email@example.com..
If you believe that any of your rights with respect to your personal data have been breached, you may also lodge a complaint with the appropriate supervisory authority or seek a remedy through the courts.